skip to Main Content

The McFarlane Society

Founded as the Housekeepers Club in 1891, the Woman’s Club of Coconut Grove has served the community for more than 126 years. Its clubhouse is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and is one of the few remaining examples of its type of architecture in the area. The Club is considered to be one of the most historically important organizations in the history of Coconut Grove.

The McFarlane Society is named for Flora McFarlane, the first woman homesteader in Coconut Grove and the Founder and first President of the Woman’s Club of Coconut Grove. The members of the Society are dedicated to preserving and maintaining the Woman’s Club headquarters located at 2985 South Bayshore Drive, Coconut Grove, FL as a historic landmark. They understand the importance of historic preservation and take pride in supporting the Woman’s Club headquarters. All funds contributed to the McFarlane Society are utilized to support the capital and renovation needs of the Headquarters. Six levels of membership available, click here:

The clubhouse is a treasure in our community and a resource that can be enjoyed by all. The Club hold numerous social, musical and cultural events for the community each year and the clubhouse is available to nonprofit organizations as a community service.  It is also a rental facility available for weddings, events and business meetings. Proceeds from rentals help support the annual maintenance costs.

The clubhouse building is almost one hundred years old, as with many historic structures, time and weather continue to take its toll. Your support is needed to maintain the Clubhouse as a community centerpiece and preserve its heritage for future generations.

To make a contribution, please click below: